My family is super smart. I have delayed bragging about my husband for a while. But before I get on to my girls, let me not so casually mention the attention Jan's PhD is receiving. Having presented it over the summer at a Sociology conference (stay with me, yes he is in finance) the head of Harvard's sociology dept sought Jan out to say that he hadn't seen it himself (there were dozens of presentations every hour) but that every one was saying it was the best one of the session. Fast forward a couple of months. Invitation from Harvard to present his paper. Jan couldn't go but someone else presented on his behalf and apparently Richard Martin who has won a Nobel Prize in Sociology attended and was very impressed, "we need more of this type of research in the field". Needless to say Jan was very happy.
And Aleka is a total genius. She talks. She is 13 months. I didn't think this was possible, but apparently it is. Some might say quite common as I have seen it mentioned in a child development book, but lets ignore that for the moment. And lets ignore the fact she doesn't really say words, but gets the first half out and you can tell what she means. So for the record…
dog
bird
car
ball
door
apple
toast
water
baba (fav toy)
mama
dada
mango
cookie
train
hola
night night
wa (ter)
balloon (sounds a lot like ball)
spoon
bag (see note above re: balloon)
If there are any more I'll get them up later. I tell you, it minimizes my incentive for signing, but she does also sign for milk, dog, bird, drink, food, cereal, tired, music, finished.
And today, she is outside and peers down to the guys working on the street and calls out hola. Are you kidding me? She only learned this one day over a week ago when her sister was yelling hola every 2 mins and then getting concerned when she didn't get a response. Like when, oh, the guy was 100 ft away in a bobcat.
OK. Must go to bed.
1 comentario:
So I probably shouldn't have read this on the day I went to see the speech therapist with Nate, only to learn that he really is delayed and we really should do something about it...
but that said, your daughter really is a genius! All those words at 13 months? Unheard of. For reals. Good for you for making a webnote - you'll have proof that you *did* pay attention to her when she begs to differ in her teens. Where she is terribly successful because she was so smart. From the beginning.
And your husband. At Harvard (by proxy, but still!)! What a man you chose! No wonder your daughters are so smart.
Finally, I let my son almost drown at the pool yesterday. The photo of your daughter's eye could only be rivaled by a photo of the lifeguard's face. I think I have PTSD. They won't remember these moments, will they?
Publicar un comentario