martes, 14 de septiembre de 2010

Back in BarceWona

Back in Barcewona, as Halia would say. Highlights so far:

Stepping back in to our house which was buried in dust and very messy. Who would leave it in such a messy state? Aleka couldn't crawl in all the dust so I spent 45 minutes vacuuming. That's fun right off the plane. Encountered two dead bats on the way. That's fun too. Then after chucking one corpse out the window I'm pretty sure there was a baby bat moving on the floor next to where mum had been. I did not pause to confirm as I was not on a rescue mission. I have since wondered what happened to the poor thing as I vacuumed him. Is he dead in there in one piece? Or in several?

Suffice it to say that the sleep of our first night meant we were up for a long stretch in the middle of the night and then slept until 1pm. Woken by grocery delivery. OH!!

The BEST thing so far was actually arriving home and seeing a picnic basket at our front door. I said to Jan, I don't know what is in there, but she is awesome. That awesome person being Cassie. So we had something to eat for our first 24 hours. Milk, tea, bread, pasta, 2 pasta sauces, baked beans, bananas, grated cheese, salad, and more. Basically, better than my usual weekly shop. Arriving in Spain on a Sunday means no stores are open, so we couldn't have picked anything up even if we'd had the energy too. Thanks star Cassie.

And then last night...

10.15 pm I'm getting ready to go to bed. Aleka wakes up. Nurse her, but still fussing.
11 pm Halia wakes up. Aleka still awake, so we all head to the living room. You have to know when your beat.
1 am Aleka yawning!
1.30 Aleka asleep.
2 am Tell Halia we will be heading up soon. Realize she is still very awake.
3.15 Halia in bed, had a story.
3.30 Halia in our bed, being quiet, but still awake which means I can't sleep.
4 am Start threatening her that we won't be able to do any fun things tomorrow if we don't sleep. Feel hate for the situation coursing through my body. Please can I sleep!
4.30 Both asleep.
6.20 Aleka awake. Nurse her back to sleep.
6.40 Aleka awake again. Cuddle to sleep.
7.30 I'm still awake because I know Zelma is coming at 8am.
8 am Woken from sleep by phone ringing, which I expect to be Zelma saying I'm at the front door. So stumble to front door. Is some serious pounding going on. Did I mention we have road works going on? Man in hard hat stares at me. No Zelma. Phone rings again. This time answer it. Don't go down to your front door she says. There are no trains. I can't come.
I head back upstairs, optimistically setting them alarm for 9.30am as we have to make some attempt at switching time zones and obviously the 1pm wake up can't be repeated.
8.20 Can only hear the banging, and oh, what's that? Jack hammering. They are jack hammering our house. Seriously. The concrete patch right next to our front door. The house is vibrating. Both children still asleep. Thank God.
9.30 Woken by alarm.
9.30 Hit snooze.
9.35 Alarm
Snooze. Alarm. Snooze. Alarm. Snooze. Alarm. Snooze. You get the idea.
10 am. Tell Halia we have to wake up. She rolls over and I follow her lead.
10.30 Aleka wakes up. OK. Now we are really awake.
11 am. Kettle on, toaster on. Attempt conversation in Spanish explaining how we have no hot water. Yes, we all still have plane stink on us.

And now, you are up to date on us. And you can imagine how pretty we are all looking. Must go get dressed because the hot water guy is coming today, now, yippee! Hope he can fix it. We could have a bath for entertainment today.



No hay comentarios: