I had thought I might get a baby sign language book for Christmas but one did not appear. I am now very glad I hadn't already bought one on Amazon, as April and Uncle choose a great one. Not only for the signing, but the singing too... I have no recollection of any words to anything, and the book has a singing and signing section at the back. (I really have to concentrate when I type those two words together, perhaps I should be doing some brain exercises). Halía is now thoroughly enjoying my rendition of Old MacDonald Had a Farm, with signs.
I now know:
milk
bounce
mom
dad
cow
horse
chicken
dog
bird
sheep
pig
sleepy
did I mention milk?
When I was younger I went through a Helen Keller fascination and taught myself the alphabet. I am really surprised that I remembered most of it, and so now can also sign her name, although I can't see when that will ever be useful, but hey, I can do it.
And Halía may be recognizing milk, although I may be pushing the maternal pride there.... and she enjoys watching me make the other signs. They say she could start signing back at 8 months, so we'll see. I think she might already be trying to sign milk (see previous note on maternal pride).
So, yes, I'm very happy with the book!
In other news I might start her on solids this week. I think she is getting hungrier and she is so bloody wiggly and intent on doing many things other than eating that I just don't have the patience to sit with her 15 times a day for 5 mins a go to get some milk down her. Bad I know. But hey, I think she will enjoy the food thing, and I'm sure I'll soon be writing to say that I now get frustrated at how she plays so much with her food and it takes so long to feed her, and it is so much easier breast feeding :) But anyway, will keep you posted on how she likes gnawing on an avocado.
I have slightly lost my confidence on BLW as both moms I spoke to about it here looked at me in horror. "But she doesn't know how to chew. She will choke. She can't eat a stick of steamed carrot, that's dangerous." May I also add that they think our marble tiled stairs with pointy pointy sharp edges are fine and that kids just have to learn. I tried to explain that I'm scared for MYSELF on those stairs and they think I'm being silly. While I totally agree with the teaching a child about stairs, I am also certain at some point, be it 6 or 10 or 42 years old, someone will have an accident and it won't mean a bruise but a broken bone and concussion (this is my best case scenario). But I digress. BLW. I have decided I can't tell anyone else of my plans and they will just have to watch and be amazed when she joins in at a restaurant and I don't have to spoon feed her from a jar. Fingers crossed.
And now, the obligatory photos :) This is her new pair of overalls I got in the sales. I am oddly attracted to pink these days. And even when she wears pink out people still ask if she is a boy... she doesn't have her ears pierced. Which apparently they do at clinics here when they are a couple of days old. Ahh! It was meant to be a forward looking purchase of a size for 9 months but I'm already tugging the legs down. Shorty Spanish people!
Honestly, if only she would smile every once in a while. Unhappy child :)
3 comentarios:
My grandma eyebrows went way up!
Avocado? Really? What happened to rice pablem?
Ah ha! I see you weren't paying attention to my previous posts of BLW! check out http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/vast_voedsel/rapley_guidelines.html
and http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/
to see what I mean.
And so it begins... We may have to start a Grandmothers Guild on the North Shore for Grandmas of BLW Babies. They can compare notes on how disgusting it is to watch a baby smeer banana all over a tray and wonder how in God's name they won't choke to death with those big pieces of squash.
That said Katie, I have become a rice pablum user. It's a sure bet for calories in a hurry as I have discovered that BLW is fun for teaching them to eat, it is frikkin' SLOW!! And of course, having the rice cereal and jarred foods available means that Grandma can feed babe dinner every once in a while too...
Publicar un comentario