sábado, 3 de mayo de 2008

Iceland - here we are

We have had our first night here in Iceland and the only thing I´m a bit disappointed with is the weather. It is a balmy 10 degrees. What happened to snow blizzards and temperatures below zero so I can have some "you won´t believe what we survived" stories. Oh well. :) I told Jan I was ´venturing´out this morning (to buy diapers) and he seemed to think I was being a bit dramatic. I didn´t put on my scarf or earmuffs cause I didn´t want to look too touristy. However my jacket was buttoned up so I´m sure that was a dead giveaway. Plus, surely everyone here already knows eachother ? Iceland has a population of 300,000 and Reykjavik around 180. What we´ve seen so far during the drive from the airport was oddly reminiscent of Hawaii. Volcanic and Mars looking. No green.

We flew via the UK so had a night at the Stanstead airport hotel where I had a nervous breakdown (more on that later, but suffice it to say I spent a prolonged time in the shower just so I couldn´t hear anyone and could pretend I was alone in the world. Didn´t work so well.)

We are staying at a very nice older hotel in Reykjavik and the school where Jan is teaching has put us up in a suite. We are very comfortable and Halía is enjoying the exploration of our nice clean room, which came practically baby proofed.

We are off on a tour this afternoon which is the shortest one I could find. 6 hours. I´m sure Halía will enjoy it, but I know I will be exhausted by the end. Off to go see waterfalls and gysers. The gyser in fact from which all others are named.

I have not much more to say expect to note Halía´s advances towards walking. Sigh. She is now turning around to go from holding on from the couch to the table and cruising along the couch to get what she wants - the remte control. I´ve told her that Talia has all the best routes mapped out of how to get around her house and I´m hoping Halía will follow her when we make our first visit to Alison and Scotts. Not that I´m looking forward to it much at all...

She is currently playing with my wallet. It keeps her in one spot for 20 minutes at a time. Amazing. Of course it means I have emptied out all coins and papers and am thinking about getting her her own handbag. Silly I know as mine will always be the more interesting.

OK, back later. Just posting a bit of nothing, I guess because I can. Still think wireless is cool.

3 comentarios:

Linda dijo...

Glad you can keep us up to date.
I check out Iceland tourist site on line. It looks fab.
Oh, is it this month you're coming?
25 days but who's counting.

Kate dijo...

Yes, I spent the afternoon snapping photos thinking, oh, i´ll post these when we get back. And then realized I dídn´t think to bring the cable with me. Oh well. Picture us in front of a waterfall and in front of a gyser... My hair is all over the place from the wind, Halía is cute but vaguely bewildered, and Jan has a huge grin on his face because he is holding on to his daughter. :)

ACJ dijo...

Umm, maybe Halia can teach T to walk? Our girl does not believe in walking between objects. Walking around them? yes. Between them? Why bother when she can crawl so fast? She'll probably crawl to her first day of school.

I hope you survive your six hour (are you mad???) tour. And here's hoping Iceland has a stair shortage.