viernes, 9 de mayo de 2008

How I would design a crib

No bars. Bars are for tired babies to grab on to, bang their soother against, and use to stand up. All things that are not sleep.

Inclined sides. Gently sloping in above the crib. Made of slippery material so that a baby can in no way use it to scale upwards to standing.

Giant velcro patch in the middle of the mattress so that the child, once placed in the perfect crib, would not be able to move.

Mattress shaped like me (mother). So the baby can calmly sleep feeling comforted in mother-mattress arms.

And a very comfortable chair next to the perfect crib that inevitably still will not work, that gives massages.

- My dream during the 1 & 3/4 hours that it took from the first time my little darling was asleep to get her back to sleep for the night.

2 comentarios:

Elizabeth dijo...

While I'm not there yet with Beatrice climbing the crib...this design you've come up with seems foolproof. Especially the slanted walls, a nice slide for the little one. And another thing, could it be any harder to change crib sheets (especially in the middle of the night!)? They must have sheets I haven't discovered yet that are MUCH less back breaking to change. Know of any?

P.S.-I'm super jealous you're in Iceland. How is it? How are the people? Is it as green and otherworldly-like as I've heard?

Elizabeth dijo...

Yeah, I love that site you sent to me. And no, I'm not SO worried that I think Beatrice will end up a vagabond on the streets of Venice, FL one day as a direct result of my formula feeding her, but still... I guess I am a "typical" weaning mother--in that I can do better in feeding her. Oh well, I am trying :)

How are things going in New York? My mom told me you were in a nice hotel, albeit one near a construction site! Hope Halia is getting a Big Apple experience, complete with Central Park walks and Serendipity cafe visits!